Sunday, January 6, 2008

Deon Tresvant is the Man!

Most of you reading this blog are already aware that UCSB lost to CSUN last night, 88-84. I attended a dinner party last night, so I didn't get to listen to the game, but two words sum up how I felt when I saw the score: shocked and stunned.

I think everyone can agree that this was going to be a good test for UCSB. They took the test, and they failed. Now, it's back to the drawing board. I still feel that the Gauchos can take the Big West NCAA berth, but they're not as good as I thought.

This game requires little analysis. Looking at the boxscore (link below), there is only one thing that stands out to me, and that's 3 point shooting. CSUN shot 11 for 21 from beyond the arc. Anytime you shoot greater than 50% and you're chucking up the three ball like it's going out of style, you're going to win most games. On the flip side, UCSB shot 4 for 15, a measly 26%. That, my friends, is the game.

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2007-2008/ucsbmb15.html

The next thing I asked is who the f*ck is Deon Tresvant? Well, take a good look at him because he was ridiculous last night.



Anyone who shoots 7 for 11 from the three and doesn't start deserves an invite to my Rec League basketball team. Deon, you're invite is in the mail. Below is the photo of my squad. With someone like you, we could dominate our league.



On the serious side, and without seeing the game on film, I don't know what to make of Tresvant's 31 points. Maybe the guy was just unconscious and there was nothing we could do to stop him. But, on the other hand, maybe we could have done more to stop the guy. You would think that after his third or fourth made 3 pointer, Coach Williams would have done a little something special for Deon. Maybe a 3-2 zone, a box and one, who knows, go crazy, the guy wasn't missing.

CSUN had great balance with 4 scorers going over 10 points. One of my keys was stopping the double digit scorers and take a couple out of their game. The Gauchos sort of took my advice and it led to Deon scoring 31 points.

Everything else on the boxscore was pretty even. We had a lot of turnovers though today, and that can't bode well. It needs to be corrected.

On the UCSB side of things, the score wasn't as bad as it seemed. James Powell appears to have been the weak link last night. The guy went 1 for 6 from beyond the arc. Usually, when I'm playing, if I shoot three 3's and don't hit any of them, I stop shooting them (unless I'm wide open) and focus on getting the two. That's probably also why Powell plays D-1 basketball and I write this blog. If you take away Powell's threes, we go 3-9 from downtown. Not great, but much better. We were balanced on offense, got to the line, made our FT's and rebounded well. However, it wasn't meant to be.

I'm willing to chalk this defeat up to a lucky run by CSUN and that it won't happen again. However, CSUN shows us that all it takes is one good game or one hot player to ruin your game plan.

Next up, the Gauchos play the UCI Anteaters on Thursday.

Check back all week because I've got some good material to add to the blog each day.

No comments: