Monday, March 24, 2008

Academics and Basketball Success

One of the things that I meant to study, although not as comprehensive as this, was the effect that having an NCAA Tournament Men's Basketball team would effect the admissions and applicants at UCSB.

When I was younger, I remember hearing about the phenomenon that Michael Vick had created for the Virginia Tech football team. Because of Vick, I remember hearing that Virginia Tech had seen a large increase in the number of applicants. Additionally, I remember the Dean being quoted in the article about how the VT student body used to wear the logos of different schools around campus, but that since Vick, they only wear VT gear.

I've always felt that UCSB should put some more effort into having a men's basketball team that dominates the Big West, much like the women's team already does. One of the benefits is that the school should get increased exposure from sporting events on television. This should lead to a higher number of applicants which leads to more money.

The study seems to prove what I've long suspected:

  • All 64 schools in the NCAA basketball tournament had a 1 percent increase in applicants each year.
  • Sweet Sixteen schools had a 3 percent application increase.
How do we get this party started? Fire Bob Williams and his decade-long track record of mediocrity.

Of course, the people with their heads up their asses naysayers love to point out that UCSB isn't in the Big East and that Bob is just a great coach. Logic doesn't work with these folks. However, I would point to Gonzaga and other mid-major schools (Xavier, etc...) with good basketball programs and I would bet that their schools experienced a similar effect. As to the Bob argument, I ask this: if you worked for the same company 10 years in a row and your department had the same mediocre numbers year after year and you failed to gain any ground on your competitor would your company keep you around? If they did, your company probably won't be around much longer, but you should keep that job because they're rewarding mediocrity. Why should basketball coaching be the same? I expect a return on my tax dollars and Bob doesn't deliver. Enough of the rant for today, enjoy the study.

No comments: