Wednesday, December 19, 2007

UCSB Destroys Ball State, 79-52

UCSB beat the tar (catch my drift) out of Ball State tonight. I'll admit it, I was fairly confident of a victory, but I didn't see this coming. The Gauchos shot 63.2% from the three point line, yes, 63.2%. They shot only 52.9% from the field, and 81.3% from the line.

The box score can be found here:

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2007-2008/12-19-07.html


Once I decide to post "The Gaucho Manifesto," you'll understand the situation from my point of view. However, even though Coach Williams has to do more than go 10-1 to get my support, I have to admit, I'm hopeful.

I know it's a tall task to ask the Gauchos to walk right into UNC's gym and do the unthinkable, but I've got hope. And, if I've got hope, the rest of Gaucholand should have waaaay more hope than me. This game was a pasting. UCSB shot the ball well. They shot it from the line well. Those are the kinds of things that can get you over the hump and help you slay the #1 team in the land.

Regardless of our record, this game will show us what UCSB is made of. We've played only two decent teams, Stanford and UNLV, going 1-1. The rest of our opponents have not been very good. To draw an analogy, I'm hoping that we aren't the basketball version of the Kansas Jayhawks football team.

The Jayhawks played a bunch of cupcakes en route to an undefeated match-up with Missouri. Everyone knew the Jayhawks were faking (except, apparently, the Orange Bowl) because they ran over a bunch of cupcakes.

I believe we aren't as bad as the Kansas Jayhawks football team. All you can do is win the games you play, and we've done that except for Stanford. So Gauchos, prove me right, go out there and smash the Tar Heels, get some respect and a Top 25 ranking. That's what I'm talking about.

No comments: